Biochemical study of Labile Plasma Iron (LPI) measurement in serum or plasma (Aferrix kit) (Code 90020)
A biochemical study of the measurement of the Labile Plasma Iron (LPI) in serum or plasma is offered for the diagnosis and monitoring of iron toxicity and iron overload in serum or plasma.
Non-transferrin Bound Iron (NTBI) is commonly detected in patients with systemic iron overload who have a high (> 75%) transferrin saturation.
The persistence of NTBI in plasma leads to an excessive and harmful accumulation of iron in several organs such as the liver, endocrine glands and heart.
The heterogeneous composition of NTBI, from large protein complexes to small organic ligands (eg, iron citrate and albumin) makes difficult its clinical determination.
LPI is a reflection of total NTBI and provides a value related to the degree of iron overload of a patient and their total NTBI levels.
Our service determines labile plasma iron in serum or heparinized plasma using the FEROS ™ eLPI kit from Aferrix, LTD. This assay is a fluorescence-based assay intended for the semi-quantitative in vitro detection of all forms of labile and chelable iron which may be active red-ox. This assay is indicated for the determination and / or monitoring of total NTBI in patients with iron overload, and a more adequate therapy frequency can be applied.
To perform this study please send the “Study request for genetic or biochemical study” form with the option 90020 on page 3 marked.
Procedure for sending samples for biochemical studies of eLPI measurement
Please send by ordinary mail or together with the sample the following documents:
– Study request for eLPI measurement duly completed.
– Informed consent for biochemical diagnosis (compulsory) signed by the patient (or by a guardian / parent in case the patient is a minor).
– Informed consent for research (optional) signed by the patient (or by a guardian / parent in case the patient is a minor) in case the patient is interested in participating in a research project.
If any document is not correct, we will contact the requesting doctor by e-mail or telephone to obtain the necessary information. If documents are correct, the requested study quotation is sent to the doctor. This quotation must be sent back signed (by ordinary mail or E-mail) before the end of the study.
Please keep in mind the following procedure to send a sample:
- Sample volume to send and shipping mode:
1 ml of FRESH SERUM or FROZEN IN DRY ICE. Please avoid freezing and thawing cycles. For each sample, please specify the state (fresh/frozen) in the study request document.
- Please contact by E-mail with email@example.com to inform us about the sending of the samples (this way we will be aware for its correct reception) specifying in the subject of the email that SAMPLES FOR eLPI BIOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS are sent.
- Samples reception timetable:
Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 17.00h (please do not send samples on Friday).
- Samples reception confirmation:
We will contact the doctor to inform him/her of the arrival of the samples at our facilities.
Once the study is completed, a report with the results obtained, as well as the invoice of the study carried out whose amount must be paid within 60 days after the end of the study, is sent by certified mail.
- Delivery address (please make sure the sentence in bold is written down on the package):
C/Verge de Guadalupe, 18, Edificio LABCO (entregar en recepción de la entrada principal)
08950 Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona
Tel. (+34) 636147238